The Arts and Libraries Department fulfils the tasks of the Ministry as the central governmental body for the area of professional arts in the music and theatre sectors and in the sectors of visual arts and architecture, applied arts and arts and crafts.
The Department in particular:
- provides a systematic overview of the condition of professional arts and evaluates it for the needs of public administration,
- co-organises major events in the area of professional arts,
- provides for the preparation of and carries out programmes of support for projects in the area of professional arts (the Programme for the Support of Czech Theatres, the Programme for the Support of Symphonic Orchestras and Choirs); develops the grant system of State support for projects in this area (support for legal entities with the exception of governmental organisations of the MC, foundations and endowment funds and support for natural persons) and announces artistic residencies for young artists up to 35 years of age,
- provides for specialised activities connected with the foreign contacts of teams and individuals from the area of professional arts and participates in the presentation of Czech professional arts abroad, in co-operation with the Foreign Relations Department
- provides for the sending and hosting of projects of fundamental importance in the area of professional arts in accordance with culture agreements and in co-operation with the Foreign Relations Department,
- participates in the preparation of major cultural activities and arts reviews,
- participates in activities associated with the Science and Research Programme for the area of professional arts including the distribution of funds on the basis of tender procedures. Terms – www.vyzkum.cz,
- plays the role of founder toward the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra including the Rudolfinum Gallery, the Prague Philharmonic Choir, the National Theatre, the State Opera Prague, Laterna Magika and the Theatre Institute,
- creates conditions for the development and support of professional artistic activities in co-operation with universities,
- provides contact with professional associations in the area of professional arts,
- participates in the preparation of materials in the area of professional arts associated with the preparation of accession of the Czech Republic to the EU,
- participates in the preparation of the reform of public administration.